Friday, September 30, 2011

Run.

I went for a run today. It has been a long time since I ran, and today I found out it has been too long.

I have been fighting a sinus infection for the past two days. I have tried everything to clear it up. Today's lunch consisted of a seranno pepper and an avocado. The pepper worked well, however only temporary.
Dinner was Thai Food. Hot. However, apparently not hot enough. Dinner was promptly followed by hanging my head over a bowl of hot steaming water. I burnt my lips.
None of this however seemed to clear up my sinuses and the new issue is I can no longer hear out of my right ear, too much pressure.

Well I am sure you are asking what this has to do with going for a run.
So I was lying in bed, trying to go to sleep early, as I have a big day tomorrow, not being able to fall asleep do to nasal congestion and ear pressure. Suddenly, I had an urge to run. Remembering how running in the past has helped to loose some mucus.
I put on my tights, and took off.

Immediately I thought this is a bad idea. Head throbbing, can feel my pulse in my ear and neck.
I pass the neighbors mailbox, feeling better. Another 20 yards down the road, and I feel the mucus draining. Hack, spit, relief.

Run, one foot in front of the other. Nonstop continuous pace. I reach the end of the cul-de-sac and I spy Socks, the neighborhood cat.

Now, at the end of our cul-de-sac there is an off spur, where they are trying to start another neighborhood. I have never really been down there before, and it is only about another 40yards, so what the hell. Socks decides to join me.
The pavement ends in a turn around, surrounded by weedy, woody mess of a field. I am about to turn around and notice, a path.
This path is peculiar, it is carved through the waist high weeds, and is entirely grass/clover covered, about 3 feet wide.
I pause for a moment.
Socks does that awesome cat thing around my legs, you know, when they weave a figure eight rubbing on your shins.
He heads for the path, as if to say, lets do this.

I start down the path, its nice, meandering like a stream through a valley.
Down, around, up, jumping over overhanging weeds,  round a tuffet of trees, and boom. I'm in someone's backyard.
Ok. Back. Jumping, down, around, and up.

Back to the street, Socks on my six.

One foot in front of the other. Rhythm of a clock. Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock, Tick.
Socks is gone.
Just me and the road, forgetting all about the congestion now. Still cant hear. Bummer.
I reach the other end of the road, plant foot and turn on a log.
Back, to the other side. tick,tock,tick,tock.
I reach the cul-de-sac. Socks is there, he just sits and stares.  I plant and turn.
Street lights are coming on now, a stiff breeze, and miscellaneous drops of rain bouncing off my forehead.
Sun is setting. Mysterious grey clouds shift above me. tick,tock,tick,tock.
Plant, turn.
I own this road. F the side. I run in the middle.
I own this road.
Tick,tock,tick,tock.
My mind is clearing, stress is melting away. The only thing I am thinking of is why have I not been running.
Plant Turn.
My road, My neighborhood. Tick,tock,tick,tock.
Maybe I should go home,     passed.
Plant turn. Sup Socks.
Tick, Tock.
After a couple of laps.
I finally decide to call it quits and head home. My nasal congestion has cleared. But my ear is still full.

My whole run was only about 2.5 miles, but it was the best run I have ever had.
I left the house to clear my head. But cleared my soul instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment